[MPlayer-users] SuSE RPM packages

Raena Lea-Shannon raen7 at ihug.com.au
Sun Jun 8 16:46:09 CEST 2003

On Thursday 05 June 2003 21:26, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> I found SuSE RPM packages of MPlayer:
>
> http://packman.links2linux.de/?action=128
>
> Please test them and tell me if they work (well).  The MPlayer that is
> shipped by SuSE is extremely crippled and it would be nice if we could
> point people to better, easy to use packages.
> Thanks
>
> Diego
I downloaded the RPMS from this site for SuSE 8.2 and they work perfectly. The
The download automates to Yast RPM install. I found that this was good for a
very quick and easy download and install but when you try to use Yast to
install the MPlayer-0.90-1.i686.rpm Yast will ask for disk 1 of the install
CDs and I could not get it to install the downloaded rpm. I got around this
by opening  tmp/kde-user/ and installing the rpm from there.

I noticed that in SuSE 8.2 when you run Mplayer a pop up now (this was not the
case in SuSE 8.1 which gave you no warning about how mangled this version of
Mplayer was) tells you that files are msiing from Mplayer due to licensing
issues. I assume this is in refernce to decss. But if SuSE has a problem just
with decss then why screw up the whole app? A botch job if ever there was
imho.

Sincerest thanks to the people working on this site.

Raena Lea-Shannon