[MPlayer-users] Re: Getting info from mplayer for semi-automatic encoding script

Chris Phillips chris at thirtythreeandathird.net
Thu Jun 5 22:10:03 CEST 2003

> > > mplayer -identify dvd://3, I get (snipping everything before the ID_*
> > > fields)
> >
> > I've noticed mplayer gives the wrong length too. I use lsdvd:
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/acidrip/ .

> I have seen this, but ideally I'd like to use mplayer for everything,
> since i'd want it to work for any kind of input that mencoder supports.
> But I guess the idea is no-good if mplayer gives the wrong length ;)

hey that's MY app! and i was just about to suggest it! I don't think that
the title length could actually be wrong... it's a preset parameter of the
dvd structure - no calculation required. hehe, i suck with libdvdread but
i got that one nailed.

I wrote lsdvd to show the contents of a dvd after i already tried messing
with mplayer but couldn't find enough useful information in it's output.
the -identify option is useful but

1) does not provide a comprehensive enough output in a constantly parsable
fashion (more of an annoyance then a problem though)

2) only works on a per track basis, which is naturally an arbitrary
constraint. libdvdred / mpdvdkit will load the entire track, or rather an
entire ifo block in one go which means it's basically just as easy to
print the entire contents as it is for a single track.

personally i'd love to be able to abandon lsdvd altogether, but couldn't
think about it until such a time that mplayer could replace it (and thus
remove yet another few dependencies for my http://acidrip.sf.net program
- new version 0.9 out last week.. go try!).

Some front ends like quickrip and gmencoder DO use mplayer directly like
this but suffer tremendously as they provide no useful chapter length
information and take an absolute age to load, due to the essentially
redundant rereading of the dvd for every single track on the disc. with a
disc with over 30 tracks that's a seriously painful experience.

cheers

chris
xxxx

btw. you took your time putting that O'Reilly article up, i found it
months ago! mind you, i doubt mplayer developers get bored and type
"mplayer" into google to kill time...