[MPlayer-users] Re: encrypted vcd

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Wed Jul 23 18:34:49 CEST 2003

weigelt at metux.de wrote:
>>There is a Linux filesystem driver that can expose CD tracks as files,
>>so reading the correct file should render the MPEG stream.
>
> hmm, what exactly happens when i mount the VCD ?
>
> The kernel says, it's using the ISO-fs driver.
> Does it an emulation ? But i couln't find anything about this in
> the kernel source.

Has the kernel lied to you before? I'm sure there is no
"emulation" going on and I don't know what that would mean in
this context. VCDs do have a file in the ISO9660 filesystem that
represents the movie, but the movie is actually contained in its
own separate track. I don't think you can get the MPEG PS by
reading that file using an ISO9660 driver. That's why MPlayer
reads the CD directly rather than mounting a filesystem on it.
I'm no expert, so you'd better read detailed descriptions like
the following for authoritative answers.

<URL:http://www.vcdimager.org/pub/vcdimager/manuals/0.7/vcdimager.html#SEC4>

Jonathan Rogers