[MPlayer-users] Re: bug in FFmpeg?

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Wed Jul 9 19:45:46 CEST 2003

Alex [CROW] wrote:
> What components come later?
> The output/rendering system? No, i don't think so, most non-DivX movies
> play in Mplayer VERY NICE!

If x11 works, but not xv, it has something to do with the vo layer. It
may be that there is an interaction between libavcodec and the xv, but
xv is involved. It could be that the decoder has a problem with a
certain color space.

>>similar problem with any video wider than about 750 on my TNT2 Vanta. I
>>have very few videos this large, so I didn't know about the problem for
>>quite a while. I get the problem playing the high resolution Matrix
>>trailer (1000 columns wide), which is SVQ3.
>

> so the problem was with SVQ3, and you used XVideo too? Or x11 driver?

No, the problem was with Xvideo. Video of that size has the same
rendering problem using Xvideo (both MPlayer and Xine) regardless of codec.

>>I transcoded it to MPEG-4
>>using lavc and the result has the exact same problem, though my machine
>>can play it without dropping too many frames. Both play clearly with
>>"-vo x11", but have the junk with Xine.
>

> I can't use -vo x11 because of slow CPU :(
> But if i had better one -- of course i would use x11 and wouldn't complain.
> I like XVideo because it allows scaling without performance degradation.
> Next, i don't use DIvX postprocessing, so movies can go fast in XVideo
> (but still slow in all other drivers)

Of course x11 is too slow; it's too slow on my machine too, at least for
large video, where I'd need it.

>>You  talk about "movies of high bitrates, fast movements", but how about
>>the frame size?
>
> The typical frame size is 640x256 (as used in sample AVI)
> Not big, as i have movies with bigger size that go well.

It sounds like your problem is different from mine.

Jonathan Rogers