[MPlayer-users] mencoder/crop => image distortion

Nico nsabbi at libero.it
Tue Jul 8 14:54:44 CEST 2003

1) xvid makes mess with non 16x dimensions
2) when dvd are displayed, the final video is subject to an aspect ratio
correction:
if  A/R is 16:9 then the final image has size = 720 * 16/9   x   576
 == 1024 x 576 ;

if you want to keep A/R intact and crop the black bars you have to
rescale the cropped image following the proportion:
    1024 : Y = 720 : y

so y = (Y * 720) / 1024 rounded to the nearest multiple of 16
in your case Y = 550, y = 384

Eventually you will need to replace 720  with the right value of X, but
in your case I would keep those few pixels.

Hope it helps,

        Nico