[MPlayer-users] [Mencvcd] Problem to convert VCD/NTSC to SVCD/PAL

Laurent Cheylus foxy at free.fr
Thu Jan 30 14:38:56 CET 2003

Hi,

I use the 'mencvcd' script form MPlayer to package to convert VCD mpeg file to
SVCD mpeg file. But I have a problem to convert VCD NTSC film to SVCD PAL film
(I am french and my old TV accepts only PAL signal with full colors from my DVD
SVCD compatible reader).

VCD NTSC is encoded with 29,97 fps, size is 352x240, sound 44100 Hz at 62 kbps
bitrate.

SVCD PAL is encoded with 25 fps, size is 480x576, sound 44100 Hz, variable bit
rate <= 224 kbps.

I use this command to do my conversion :
mencvcd NAME -a 2 -abr 160 -svcdout -vfr 3 -vnorm n VCD_FILE

All works very well : encoding MPEG2, encoding sound, resampling sound with
m2enc,  mplex... but the resulting SVCD MPEG file has a big problem with sound :
the resulting sound in SVCD PAL file is desynchronized and played too fast
versus SVCD PAL video :-(

I think it's a problem with resampling VCD NTSC @29,97fps to SVCD PAL at 25fps :
final sound stays encoded like original sound @29,97fps instead of being
reencoded to be synchronized with video @25fps.

How to correct this problem and to obtain a correct SVCD PAL film with video and
sound synchronized ?

Please send me a copy by mail for response because I have not subscribed to the
mailing-list.

regards, Laurent.

--
Laurent Cheylus <foxy at free.fr> OpenPGP ID 0x5B766EC2