[MPlayer-users] Is this an mencoder bug? (was: help w/ encoding an avi file from sequence of .png files)

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Mon Jan 27 07:56:58 CET 2003

Frederick Bruckman wrote:
 :: On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Dean S. Messing wrote:
 ::
 :: > Frederick Bruckman wrote:
 :: >  :: On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Dean S. Messing wrote:
 :: >  ::
 :: >  :: > => mencoder *.png -mf on:w=325:h=407:fps=15:type=png -ovc rawrgb -o output.avi
 ::
 :: > But I can't get it to play either with MPlayer or with Windoze Media
 :: > player.  The latter is (unfortunately) more important because I must
 :: > send this experimental sequence to my counterparts in Corporate
 :: > Headquarters.  They are all Windoze Weenies.
 ::
 :: I just tried some quick tests with -mf on:type=png, and the resulting
 :: files were unplayable for me, too. I seem to remember now, from the
 :: last time I managed to create a "slideshow" with mplayer, that it only
 :: works with jpegs. Also, you need to make sure all the input files have
 :: exactly the same dimensions, or it runs off the rails. What I ended up
 :: doing was re-scaling with ImageMagick to very high quality (and very
 :: large) jpegs, and encoding with "mplayer ... -ovc lavc" and the
 :: resulting avi came out looking pretty good -- the paused mplayer
 :: window is essentially indistinguishable from the original jpegs,
 :: as viewed with ImageMagick.
 ::
 :: I built against png-1.2.5, so maybe that works for someone else.
 :: ("mplayer -vo png" works fine.)

Thanks for trying this on your side.  I compiled against png-1.2.4
which I got off the Mandrake Cooker site as of Jan. 16th.

The image seq. files are all the same size and format.
Jpeg is _not_ an option for me.  These are visual
experimental data with a lot of high
frequency content, including zoneplates; jpeg will wreak havoc
with them.  The .avi needs to be uncompressed.

Is this a bug?  Surely Mencoder ought to be able to put simple
rgb files (in png format) into an .avi ?

By the way, I tried -ovc copy and mplayer _would_ play the
resulting .avi but windows media play would not.  It
doesn't know what an "mpng" file is.  These _must_
be playable under Windows (unfortunately).

I hope the Big Guns can chime in here and tell me what
to do.  Seems like a bug to me.

                      Dean S. Messing
                      Display Algorithms & Visual Optimization Lab
                      Information Systems Technologies Dept.
                      Sharp Laboratories of America
               E-Mail: deanm at sharplabs.com