[MPlayer-users] yuv4mpeg and scaling

Michael Lehmeier m_lehmeier at gmx.de
Fri Jan 24 14:21:14 CET 2003

Hi

I often use an mpeg2 stream that I get directly from digital television
to make XVCDs out of them using the mjpegtools. So far I mainly used a
combination of mpeg2dec and yuvscaler to feed mpeg2enc but sometimes I
also used mplayer.

Now I want to completely switch to mplayer with the yuv4mpeg option but
I have some problems.
You see, usually scale the image in a way that leaves small black bars
on the sides and top because they don't display on television and are
therefore discarded picture and bandwidth.
I tested with the x11 driver and got the desired result with the
following line:

mplayer -vop expand=460:576:16:8,scale=448:560 -vo x11 -ao null -sws 9
orig.mpg

However, this does not work when I use yuv4mpeg. It scales straight to
460:576, without black bars. I guess this is because yuv4mpeg uses
hardware scaling.

My question: Is there a way to get a YUV stream that is scaled like the
x11 driver? Some workaround?

Thank you!