[MPlayer-users] VCDs, FreeBSD and SCSI CDROM, no play

Carl Drougge mplayer at z42.net
Sun Jan 12 07:22:56 CET 2003

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 07:37:35PM +0200, Anssi Saari wrote:

> I noticed I can't play VCDs on SCSI cdroms on my FreeBSD system. I'm not
> sure if it has ever worked, since usually VCDs are for the DVD player
> in the living room...
>
> It seems, from the mplayer -v output, that setting the blocksize to 2352
> fails due to maybe wrong ioctl and then the kernel complains with

The cd driver in FreeBSD only supports 2k blocks. You could use the
passthrough driver, but "portable" code that doesn't use 2k blocks failes
for SCSI drives on FreeBSD.

(I'm talking about the "cd" driver, the one you get documentation for with
"man 4 cd", not something that is generic for all types of CDs. Atapi CDs
use the acd driver.)

Maybe using the same scsi-access library that cdrdao uses could work.
(Don't know what it does and doesn't do, but you can read VCDs with it,
obviously.)

(And don't take anything I say as fact, this is just as I remember it..)