[MPlayer-users] VCDs, FreeBSD and SCSI CDROM, no play

Jens Axboe axboe at suse.de
Sat Jan 11 19:10:34 CET 2003

On Sat, Jan 11 2003, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > It seems, from the mplayer -v output, that setting the blocksize to 2352
> > fails due to maybe wrong ioctl and then the kernel complains with
> >
> > /kernel: dscheck(#cd/0): b_bcount 2352 is not on a sector boundary (ssize 2048)
>
> there are problems with scsi cdrom + vcd under linux too.

Such as?

> > Same disk works in same drive in Linux
> hmm.
> then it's sth else, maybe freebsd (or the scsi driver of your controller)
> limitation?
>
> Diego donated me a scsi cdrom (it has problems under linux too with vcd),
> but i hadn't yet time to start debug & fixing yet. :(

I'm not aware of any problems, so can't be that bad. That said, there
is a lot that could be done to improve the speed of vcd "ripping"
considerably. In 2.5, the same tricks that were used to make cd burning
xxx times faster could be easily adapted to vcd reading as well (using
bio to do zero copy dma reading of vcd sectors) instead of the horrible
way it's done now (doesn't even use dma on atapi). For 2.4 it would be
quite easy to at least make it do dma on atapi. Kernel part being the
easy one, whether all drives would be happy doing it another...

--
Jens Axboe