[MPlayer-users] volume

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Fri Jan 10 09:17:40 CET 2003

Hi.

> Although this may solve the problem in some cases, maybe someone
> should have a closer look at it anyway.  For example, I have found it
> necessary to change the volume when encoding to mp3, because otherwise
> the bitrate was too low.

Uh... what? He's talking about mplayer with alsa, you're talking about
encoding to mp3.

> Does maybe the AC3 decoding and mixing to two channels produce
> consistently low volume?  Then I would vote for fixing that.

That's not a problem of either mplayer/mencoder nor of the AC3
downmixing code. Several DVDs contain sound that simply does not make
use of the complete dynamic range. That's why people generally
normalize the WAV after they've decoded the AC3. Funky Windows software
like HeadAC3he or BeSweet do that by applying two passes for the
decoding. You can do the same with mplayer and normalize under Linux.
(Or perhaps with the 'volume' audio FILTER. Read DOCS/sound.html)

--
 ==> Ciao, Mosu (Moritz Bunkus)