[MPlayer-users] DVD - Split Screen

Brian Craft bcboy at thecraftstudio.com
Thu Feb 27 21:25:46 CET 2003

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 01:30:55PM +0100, Stefan Recksiegel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Ah. I think I'm running it around 70Hz. That's probably the issue. I find that
> > at 16bpp the video looks muddy.
>
> Didn't you say that you are using XV ?
> Then you must be one of those people that can hear the difference between
> a normal and a 50$ powercord to your amplifier. The XV output is completely
> independent of the normal colourspace of your desktop. The desktop shows
> some chroma key which is then replaced by the movie picture by the graphics
> adapter before the whole screen is output to the monitor.

I have a video grabber board, as well, and for some reason using it in XV mode
looks really poor. The picture is less clear, and there are horizontal bands
that are quite distracting. So I run xawtv with "-noxv". If I'm running at
16bpp dark images lose all detail.

I haven't experimented much with mplayer at 16bpp because I expected I'd have
the same problem. I'm using the mga kernel module.

b.c.