[MPlayer-users] Jumpy capturing from tv with mencoder

Giles RC Morant giles.morant at durham.ac.uk
Sat Feb 22 16:37:29 CET 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 14:18, Jukka Kajava wrote:
> I started getting problems with mencoder and tv input
> after I upgraded my kernel to 2.4.21-pre4 from 2.4.19.
> The picture is jumpy and every 5 seconds or so I get a
> line

Could this be to do with the default 5 seconds for ext3 syncing to
disk?  Try running vmstat and see if any processes are blocked/waiting
when disk writes occur.  I often have to run "watch sync" to enable
smooth progress.  Mencoder doesn't do any work when it needs to write to
disk -- something to do with the thread-free architecture?
You can also edit the bdflush parameters to have a similar effect if
watch sync helps.

Giles RC Morant <giles.morant at dur.ac.uk>