[MPlayer-users] Jumpy capturing from tv with mencoder

Jukka Kajava j43080 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 21 15:18:43 CET 2003

I started getting problems with mencoder and tv input
after I upgraded my kernel to 2.4.21-pre4 from 2.4.19.
The picture is jumpy and every 5 seconds or so I get a
line

video capture thread: frame delta ~ n fps

where n is a number between 1 and 15.  My tv card is
Hauppauge bt878.

What makes me curious is that the picture is not jumpy
with mplayer or any other TV software, it is only when
encoding with mencoder. I have tried also with kernel
2.4.20 and the same thing happened.

This is not a CPU limitation because I grabbed
perfectly good picture with the same options before
upgrading the kernel and now I get the jumpy picture
even if I use very small image size and bitrate (CPU
usage less than 10%). It is not a sound problem either
because it appears with the nosound flag.

Same phenomenon happens with both rc3 and rc4 (haven't
tested others). I have also tried almost every bttv
version between 0.7.96 and 0.7.104 and played with
almost all options. I do not know whether this is a
mencoder or kernel problem but I am totally puzzled.
Any ideas?