[MPlayer-users] will mplayer do a 3:2 pulldown on 24 fps video when ofps=29.97?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Feb 21 17:15:21 CET 2003

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 08:36:34AM -0500, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> So it seems like while it is combining different source frames to make
> interlaced frame 4, it is not inserting a new 5th frame interlaced
> from source frames 4 and 5.  Is this because a vop cannot increase the

Yes, and because your -vo sucks. With a vo that syncs to vertical
retrace, you'll at least see the extra frame for one refresh period.
If you're using DXR3, I would imagine you'd get nice smooth perfect
29.97 fps output.

> output frame rate?  If so, what use is the telecine vop anyway?  I
> suppose it could be used to telecine during mencoding.  But telecining
> during playback would be nice.

For use with mencoder -- RTFM. Actually I hate telecine, so the main
use for me is to make telecined files for testing -vop detc. :)

Yes, it would be nice if it worked during playback with all vo's, but
for now that's a limitation of mplayer.

> But what happens to the audio in that case?  Presumably it goes out of
> sync unless mplayer were to resample it if it was telecining a 24fps
> source up to 29.97fps.  Am I correct?

No. If you increase the framerate of your video from 23.976 to 29.97
fps while adding 20% more frames, the total length of the movie does
not change at all, does it?? So why would audio be affected?

There is an issue with audio if the original file is 24 fps and you
want to make 29.97 fps output, but I've never seen an actual 24 fps
file. When this (or 24->23.976) is done by professional studios, they
just slightly decrease the rate at which audio is played.

Rich