[MPlayer-users] will mplayer do a 3:2 pulldown on 24 fps video when ofps=29.97?

Brian J. Murrell 5f9091f75a0f632e07d5939255c377ed at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Feb 21 14:36:34 CET 2003

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 06:04:17PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> True 3:2 pulldown. Duplication would be totally pointless since you'd
> get that effect automatically with mplayer using no special options.

Is it supposed to actually "mangle" the 4th frame and insert a 5th
frame, increasing the output framerate to 29.97 fps?

What I am seeing is the first 3 frames come out "normal", and the 4th
frame "interlaced" (presumably with frame 3, as per telecining, and
then the 5th - 7th frame looking normal again with the 8th frame
looking interlaced.

So it seems like while it is combining different source frames to make
interlaced frame 4, it is not inserting a new 5th frame interlaced
from source frames 4 and 5.  Is this because a vop cannot increase the
output frame rate?  If so, what use is the telecine vop anyway?  I
suppose it could be used to telecine during mencoding.  But telecining
during playback would be nice.

But what happens to the audio in that case?  Presumably it goes out of
sync unless mplayer were to resample it if it was telecining a 24fps
source up to 29.97fps.  Am I correct?

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell