[MPlayer-users] Creating a movie from jpg files which can be viewed with Windows Media Player

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Feb 21 08:28:37 CET 2003

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 05:25:55PM -0800, Craig Aumann wrote:

> I'm new to Mplayer and Mencoder, and am trying to
> create a movie from a sequence of jpeg files.  I can
> create the movie fine and view it with Mplayer, but
> when I try to view the movie with Windows Media
> Player, it won't work - I get the error
>
> "Cannot play back the video stream: No suitable
> decompressor could be found."
>
> I have created the movie files three different ways:
>
>  mencoder -mf on:w=640:h=512:fps=4 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=wmv1 -o  habitat.avi joined.\*.jpg
>
> rm habitat.mpg
> mencoder -mf on:w=640:h=512:fps=4 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg4 -o  habitat.mpg joined.\*.jpg
>
> rm habitat.afs
> mencoder -mf on:w=640:h=512:fps=4 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=wmv2 -o  habitat.afs  joined.\*.jpg
> Is there any way to have mencoder create a file which
> can be viewed on Media Player without having to fiddle
> about with codec's on Windows?

WMV cannot be used in AVI by stupid windows players; it's restricted
to ASF files (sometimes called .wmv) by MS.

If you really want to make files that are playable without downloading
any extra codecs, you might try vcodec=msmpeg4v2 or else using mpeg1
video with -of mpeg (but this is experimental!).

A much nicer solution is just distributing ffdshow with your movies
and using mpeg4....

Rich