[MPlayer-users] -ss still broken ???

j.a.l j.a.l at free.fr
Fri Feb 21 07:48:43 CET 2003

thanks for all answers, use one reply for both :

Joonas Koivunen wrote:
 > You can do a one 1400MB file and then split it with mencoder at
700MB.. As
 > seeking in those mpeg-ps streams (correct me if/when/as i'm wrong) still
 > seems to be broken, but I guess it is very far from trivial and not
with such
 > high priority as there is so easy way around..
 >
 > -rzei

right, my fault ; "-ss xx -endpos yy mb" seem to work well on avi, now
the big issue is to split the vob subtitle....

D Richard Felker III wrote:
 > On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 03:24:58PM -0500, j.a.l wrote:
 >
 >>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
 >>it seem the -ss ( mplayer / mencoder ) doesn't jump to the correct
 >>position,
 >>ex : -ss 500 ( on a dvd stream.dump ), start at 1280sec, 86% !! ( get
 >>from a modified mplayer version, values are ok ). ok, playing must start
 >>at a keyframe, but it's seem little far...
 >>
 >>( deal is the use of -ss -endpos mb for slitting a steam.dump into
 >>several divx )
 >

 > DO NOT USE SEEKING FOR THIS!! You will end up splitting your file
 > right in the middle of a scene which is lame! Instead use -chapter A-B
 > with -dumpstream to only rip certain ranges of chapters.
 >
 > Rich

what i do for my own rip, here ( a job ), i can't : i need to know the
size ( mb ) of the chapter A-B, thought i could encode each chapter,
then concat but - as send in a previous mail - didn't work : mencoder
exit at the end of first file ( cat 1.avi 2.avi | mencoder .... ) ;
tried avimerge, ok for vid but sound is noisy and out of sync.

A+