[MPlayer-users] Re: inverse telecine... not

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Feb 20 21:27:53 CET 2003

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 01:44:37PM +0100, gabor wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 09:54:39PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
>  >
> > > btw. (maybe stupid) .. how can i know if my dvd was telecined?
> >
> > Watch it with -fps 1 and look at the individual frames. If you see 3
> > good frames followed by 2 horrible ugly interlaced frames, it's
> > telecined.
>
> > But some stuff, especially animation that's originally drawn at 24 fps
> > but then made for airing on television in the US or Japan, is actually
> > 'hard telecined' before encoding the DVD. :((
> >
> like my flcl :(
>

> btw. i tried your -vop detc and works wonderfully, thanks a lot :)
>
> but now i have pictures like : a b c d d | a b c d d, you know....
>
> would it be somehow possible to adjust it to show only:
> a b c d | a b c d | a b c d | ?.. i know it couldn't be done at the vop
> level (or maybe could ? ) so i was thinking that simply throw away those
> duplicates and adjust the fps... as that possible?

It does throw them away. However, mplayer doesn't adjust the
presentation framerate, so "d" gets seen for twice as long. The main
purpose of "detc" right now is for use with mencoder; if you run
mencoder -ofps 23.976 -vop detc, it should generate a nice smooth
23.976 fps file without every 4th frame duplicated.

Rich