[MPlayer-users] Re: Rtsp support

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Sun Feb 16 23:39:59 CET 2003

>Hmm. afaik xine has some working rtsp:// supoprt for the realmedia streams.
>dunno how does it work, but last tiem i checked the code it was quite huge
>(many files, parsers, crypto stuff etc) compared to the pnm:// code.

Yes, the Xine folks have shown that some RealAudio/RealVideo "rtsp://"
streams can be played.  I hope to someday reimplement this as part of the
LIVE.COM Streaming Media Code - which will thus make it available for use
by MPlayer.

The particular problem that Francisco Leon noted (with
"rtsp://start.real.com/..." URLs) was different, because (i) that
particular server behaves in a weird, non-standard way (it's not one of
RealNetworks' 'Helix' servers), and (ii) those streams require a paid
subscription anyway.

         Ross.