[MPlayer-users] smp?

Brian Craft bcboy at thecraftstudio.com
Sun Feb 16 23:38:32 CET 2003

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 03:48:39PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> and the other is idle. So this guy probably just has a really slow cpu
> (Celeron 333 or something? ;)

Close. ;) Dual 300A's running at 450. Playback is plenty fast enough (uses
about 40% of one cpu), now that I've figured out the labyrinthine performance
options. Most post-processing filters, however, will cause frames to drop.
Then it's a bit irritating seeing the 2nd cpu sit mostly idle.

Smooth pans also look pretty horrible, because they're so choppy in mplayer.
>From the previous discussions of XP, it looks like threading might solve that
as well.

xine isn't really a viable alternative. Looks like I'll have to try XP.

Has anyone tried doing off-line post-processing, using a very large hard drive
as a staging area for playback? Drive space is cheap. Seems like it should be
possible to decode and post-process the frames, put them through a lossless
compression, and write them to hard drive. Then play back from hard drive. The
goal here would be to avoid the $20k dedicated hardware that does this sort of
thing in real time, for displaying on, say, a digital projector with an 8ft
wide screen.

b.c.