[MPlayer-users] changing aspect ratio in avi without reencoding

Sun Feb 16 08:17:33 CET 2003

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, Jukka Tastula wrote:

JT>The format does/can not store such info (like mpeg1/2 does) so no, you would
JT>have to change the frame size to get what you want and therefore you'd need
JT>to recompress which means loss of quality. Very sad.

Documentation says that aspect ratio can be stored in mpeg4-inside-avi
files, but only mplayer will understand it (although I don't think it's
a problem to add this to windows players, if you mail their authors).
But that's enough for me.

Bad thing is mplayer can set this option only when encoding video with
lavc. But I think there should be other way, and wanted to know it...

JT>Mplayer does have an -aspect option though, and everyone is using mplayer to
JT>play all their videos so what's the problem anyway?-)

I've got several videos with wrong aspect ratio... I don't like to start
it, remember that it's wrong, and restart mplayer manually setting
-aspect each time.

--

Vladimir