[MPlayer-users] divx cropped and duplicated [ACER travelmate]

Adrian Papari adrian.papari at abraxas.nu
Sat Feb 15 22:54:36 CET 2003

> Adrian Papari wrote:
> > greetings,
> >
> > whenever i try to play a dixv/avi file (actually, only tried with
> > widescreen movies) the screen is cropped on left and right sides, and
> > replaced with a "mirror" of the movie playing; ie, the screen is split in
> > two, both halves playing the centre part of the screen. the problem is
> > resolved when i use the -vo x11 switch, but unfortunately i can't rescale
> > the movie with that video output.
> >
> > i had the exact same problem with a previous release of mplayer, but it
> > "fixed itself" after i upgraded to mplayer0.90rc1 (or the ver before).
> >
> > installed software and other specs:
> > acer travelmate 210txr laptop
> >  -Trident CyberBlade/DSTN/Ai (us xfree86's generic trident cyberblade drv)
> > xfree86 4.2.1 (mandrake 9.0 rpm)
> > windowmaker0.80
> > mplayer0.90rc4 with the latest codecs (both the w32 & win32 codecs)
> >
> > i tried compiling mplayer with all 3 possible combinatioins of the above
> > codecs, i also tried dixv4linux, which didn't do me any good (didn't get
> > it working). and i've tried various -vc options. i've previously used
> > xfree86 3.x.x ver, but it coudln't detect any 'valid screen modes' upon
> > installing mandrake9.0 - but xfree864.2.1 works w/o complaint.
> >
> > anyone out there who'd like to point me in the right direction?
> >
> > thnx in advance,
> > //adrian papari.
> >

> Well, it's almost certainly your video card/drivers.
>
> Sometimes drivers have trouble with odd resolutions. Do the movies you
> try have resolutions that are divisible by 8?
>
> If that's not the problem, you have a few options:
> 1. Try -vo sdl. It probably has the same problem, but will only take a
> second to check.
> 2. Use -vo x11 -zoom. This is almost guaranteed to work for fullscreen,
> but will consume lots of CPU.
> 3. Bugreport the issue to whoever writes your video card's drivers.
>
> Good luck,
> Corey

(yes, the movies' resolutions were all divisible by 8).

well, option 1 didn't work and my celeron isn't really up for the -zoom
option, i presume the fact that it worked previously is due to XFree86
3.x.x - which i, abstrusely, can't get running (fatal server error etc). i
don't suppose anyone on the list has an acer travelmate and a working
xfree86cfg, or a workaround?

cheers,
//adrian papari.