[MPlayer-users] divx cropped and duplicated

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sat Feb 15 21:27:15 CET 2003

Adrian Papari wrote:
> greetings,
>
> whenever i try to play a dixv/avi file (actually, only tried with
> widescreen movies) the screen is cropped on left and right sides, and
> replaced with a "mirror" of the movie playing; ie, the screen is split in
> two, both halves playing the centre part of the screen. the problem is
> resolved when i use the -vo x11 switch, but unfortunately i can't rescale
> the movie with that video output.
>
> i had the exact same problem with a previous release of mplayer, but it
> "fixed itself" after i upgraded to mplayer0.90rc1 (or the ver before).
>
> installed software and other specs:
> acer travelmate 210txr laptop
>  -Trident CyberBlade/DSTN/Ai (us xfree86's generic trident cyberblade drv)
> xfree86 4.2.1 (mandrake 9.0 rpm)
> windowmaker0.80
> mplayer0.90rc4 with the latest codecs (both the w32 & win32 codecs)
>
> i tried compiling mplayer with all 3 possible combinatioins of the above
> codecs, i also tried dixv4linux, which didn't do me any good (didn't get
> it working). and i've tried various -vc options. i've previously used
> xfree86 3.x.x ver, but it coudln't detect any 'valid screen modes' upon
> installing mandrake9.0 - but xfree864.2.1 works w/o complaint.
>
> anyone out there who'd like to point me in the right direction?
>
> thnx in advance,
> //adrian papari.

Well, it's almost certainly your video card/drivers.

Sometimes drivers have trouble with odd resolutions. Do the movies you
try have resolutions that are divisible by 8?

If that's not the problem, you have a few options:
1. Try -vo sdl. It probably has the same problem, but will only take a
second to check.
2. Use -vo x11 -zoom. This is almost guaranteed to work for fullscreen,
but will consume lots of CPU.
3. Bugreport the issue to whoever writes your video card's drivers.

Good luck,
Corey