[MPlayer-users] Brightness and contrast setting ineffectual

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Feb 13 04:46:45 CET 2003

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 11:41:24AM -0500, Katheryne E. Draven wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Mplayer (to date) is the only DVD player I have been able to get to work
> on Linux RedHat 8.0 so for that I thank you.
>
> My only problem is that I cannot (GUI controls on KDE 3x) set the
> brightness and contrast. The image is too dark.
> Nothing I do to reset the image works.
>
> Is there something I can do to correct this.
>
> Please Note: I'm  a complete newbie to Linux. While I have completely
> abandoned M$ cold turkey, I still have  a great deal to learn. So please
> be as clear and step by step as possible.

One sure way to do brightness and contrast adjustment is to load the
soft equalizer filter (-vop eq2) on the command line, or however
that's done in the gui, then use the 1/2/3/4 keys to adjust. However,
if your computer isn't very fast this might make it too slow to watch
hi-res movies. A better solution would be to figure out why the
hardware equalizer controls don't work.

In order for us to help more, we need to know at least what video card
you're using, and hopefully which drivers you're using as well. Also,
the output of the "xvinfo" program could be helpful.

Rich