[MPlayer-users] mencoder a-v sync and DVDs (again)

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed Feb 12 22:07:32 CET 2003

Arpi wrote:
> try encoding using -oac pcm, or -oac copy and check if the delay still exists.
> maybe i have to hack it a bit to compensate codec's (encoder) delay.
>
> also, it's possible that video encoder delays 1 frame, if using B frames.
> try -ovc rawrgb, if it solves a-v issue then it's the problem.
>

> A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

Ok, here's a few tests. I just watched the A-V meter for each test and
observed where it seemed to average. The values I give are imprecise,
but the differences between tests are noticable.

-oac mp3lame -ovc lavc		0.78
-oac copy -ovc lavc		0.56
-oac pcm -ovc lavc		0.40

I tried -ovc rawrgb for each of the three audio codecs, but couldn't see
any difference.

All tests were done on "fastandfurious.vob"
ftp://ftp.mplayerhq/hu/MPlayer/incoming/mencoder_dvd_audio_sync
http://bugfood.casa-z.org/mpbug/report2/

...with a simple line like this:
mencoder fastandfurious.vob -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -oac pcm
-ofps 23.976

Also, I noticed that when I remove -ofps, the A-V values are very small.
I don't know if that helps you any.

Thanks,
Corey