[MPlayer-users] mencoder a-v sync and DVDs (again)

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Tue Feb 11 08:58:35 CET 2003

Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>>ftp://ftp.mplayerhq/hu/MPlayer/incoming/avsync
>>>http://bugfood.casa-z.org/mpbug/report2/
>>>
>>>I'd really appreciate it if somebody could tell me what's going on.
>>
>>IMO this is a really serious bug that should be addressed before 0.90
>>final! The main purpose of mencoder is probably ripping dvds, and if
>>it can't do that properly, it's quite broken... :(
>

> heh
> is this the same problem as with mplayer before, that constant 200-300ms
> (sometimes random, change per chapter) delay?
> i thought the demuxer fix solved it for both mplayer and mencoder...

No, the problem is that when mencoding, a typical output status line
looks like this:
Pos:5662.8s 135773f (81%)   5fps Trem:  91min 750mb  A-V:0.073 [811:93]]]

Where A-V is constantly near a certain value somewhere between 0.000 and
0.100 (but that value is always between +- 0.030 and +- 0.080). Within a
single movie, the A-V drifts around by about 0.015 (which isn't a
problem) but is always consistantly near that certain value. For
instance, as I watch the above movie get encoded, it is always between
0.065 and 0.075, which is definitely perceptible. Playing the encoded
movie with -delay 0.070 looks just fine.

Different movies have different values about which the A-V centers. Some
are 0.030, some are 0.080, etc.

Sorry, I have a hard time explaining this. Christopher might be able
to describe the problem better. Also, take a look here:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2003-February/029156.html

Thanks again,
Corey