[MPlayer-users] Deinterlace-plugins that do not destroy fps?

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Thu Feb 6 18:38:31 CET 2003

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 07:53:55PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 09:33:18PM +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > Is there any work going on to get better deinterlacing plugins to Mplayer?
> >
> > I'd like to be able to view interlaced material (DVD's, tv-card etc) at the full
> > framerate (50/60fps)..
> >
> > Many of the good deinterlacing techniques are shown at the
> > http://www.100fps.com.
> >
> > With deinterlacing methods like "Combination of Weave+Progressive Scan" you
> > get the full fps and great picture quality..
> >
> > Quote from 100fps.com: "How can you expect to have excellent results when
> > you convert 50 fields per second (=50 snapshots per second) to 25 snapshots
> > per second?"
> >
> > Good NTSC MPEG-2 clip available for testing is here:
> > http://telija.net/~pk/FlickerBox.zip (originally from ftp.demodvd.org, but
> > it seems to be down now..)
> >
> > When played at 30 fps (like mplayer does) the picture is not correct.
> >
> > Does support of these deinterlacing methods require big changes to
> > mplayer?
> >
> > Please comment..
>
> Most of the stuff you've read on 100fps.com sounds like flamebait.
> Movies are 24fps to begin with (sped up to 25 fps for PAL, or
> telecined for NTSC), so there's no sense in trying to get 50/60 fps
> out of them. Methods like this could be good for made-for-television
> content, but you can have "excellent results" at 25/30 fps as well.

Yes, I realize that most movies made for film are shot using pure
progressive 24 frames per second..

But, DVB (digital tv & satellite) is using a lot of interlaced 50/60fps
material.. because of analog video-cameras. some DVD's are 50/60 fps too
(like DemoDVD for example :)

Also, stuff coming in from your analog tv-card (hauppauge & friends) is
interlaced too.. and at 50/60 fps.

> For now, try using the various deinterlace filters and see what kinda
> results you can get. Use pp=md, lb, ci, or fd and see which one does
> best. Eventually mplayer should support the sort of frame rate
> doubling you're talking about, but it's difficult to do with the
> current architecture so don't expect it anytime soon.

OK. What's the problem with current architecture ?

-- Pasi

                                   ^
                                .     .
                                 Linux