[MPlayer-users] Re: lavc-Options for *BEST* quality?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Feb 5 07:13:08 CET 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 11:28:21PM +0000, Martin Collins wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 00:00:09 +0100
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:

> > i looked at the MCF spec a few month
> > ago and it was a total joke,
> > IMHO a new container format wouldnt be bad idea, as it seems all
> > current formats do have some dissadvantages,
>
> What about Matroska?

I dunno, I stopped reading after the "inspired by XML" part... :))

Seriously, it looks like it suffers from serious bloat and nonsense
that make things unnecessary painful to implement. I have no idea how
efficient it is or whether it handles seeking, error recovery, etc.
well, but since it seems to be written by stupid DShow fans like MCF,
I imagine it's brain damaged in that area too.

If any Matroska fans/developers/whatever care to explain why I'm wrong
in making that assumption, feel free. But regardless, I maintain that
it's disgusting looking and painful to implement.

Michael moved the discussion about designing a new container that
doesn't suck to the devel list, so if please post comments on that
matter to the thread over there.

Rich