[MPlayer-users] lavc-Options for *BEST* quality?

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Mon Feb 3 09:25:03 CET 2003

Hi.

>  1.) Dont encode with more then 0.25 bpp.
>  2.) Dont use greater quantizer as 2-3 (2.5).

The former is a guideline on how to chose your bitrate prior to
encoding. The latter is the result you get after encoding. Normally
those two values correspond to each other, but if your movie has really
lot of high motion scenes, then you might need to chose the bpp higher
than the values mentioned, otherwise the quantizers will be higher (and
quality worse). For films with lot of black scenes and few motion the
bpp can be lower and the quantizers still are 2-3.

>  But regardless what I do, I hurt the one or the other rule.

That's ok. The latter is the more important one as it tells you
how much the picture was compressed (a bit simplified). So lower values
are obviously better.

As I said the first rule is used to select the bitrate. After you've
done the encoding you surely have to adjust scaling and/or the bitrate.

>  I have not the time to encode the whole DVD and to watch it just fpr
>  checking, whether everything looks ok...

Then at least do a single chapter (mencoder ... -chapter 1-1 ...).

>  Is there any other "rule of thumb" or another technical trick (other
>  than scaling or using 5 instead of 2 CDRWs) to circumvent my problem
>  ?

Try and error.

--
 ==> Ciao, Mosu (Moritz Bunkus)