[MPlayer-users] xvid and Divx5 in the same mplayer?

Brian Hall brihall at pcisys.net
Sun Feb 2 19:13:58 CET 2003

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 00:41:06 -0500
D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> DOCS/bugreports.html] On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 08:40:56PM -0700, Brian
> Hall wrote:
> > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
> > DOCS/bugreports.html]
> >
> > How can I enable xvid and Divx5 support in the same version of
> > mplayer? I prefer xvid most of the time, but I have some AVIs that
> > require Divx version 5, which xvid doesn't support.
> >
> > I have built both mplayer and xvid from the latest CVS.
>
> Arrg, sounds like you didn't read the readme and didn't install
> libavcodec!! If you have lavc, there's no point in xvid or divx5 for
> decoding. They're just slow and buggy. XVID might be useful for
> encoding, but divx5 is just junk (especially the linux ver).

Thanks for the reply.

I built libavcode as described in codecs.html. Xvid-encoded files play
fine with libavcodec/ffmpeg, and so do most divx4 (a couple segfault,
but that is a different problem).

However, I cannot get libavcodec to decode _any_ Divx5 files (tcprobe -i
reveals they are encoded with the "DX50" codec).

--
http://www.pcisys.net/~brihall
Linux Consultant

If you don't care where you are, then you ain't lost.