[MPlayer-users] mplayer as a frame grabber for a webcam? (I know, I know, but listen for a minute . . )

Eric Jorgensen alhaz at xmission.com
Sun Feb 2 03:49:34 CET 2003

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 00:21:07 +0100
Colin Leroy <colin at colino.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 14:58:46 -0700 Eric Jorgensen <alhaz at xmission.com>
> wrote:
>

> > mplayer -tv on:driver=v4l:input=1:norm=ntsc -vo jpeg -jpeg \
> > quality=75:optimize:progressive:outdir=/tmp -vop pp=lb -frames 1
> >
> > 	Nothing happens.
>
> optimize isn't a flag; your commandline is ok with optimize=1 for example.
> I agree mplayer should tell the problem ;-)

	I'm now getting good results with the following:

mplayer -tv on:driver=v4l:input=1:norm=ntsc:width=640:height=480 -vo jpeg \
-jpeg quality=75:optimize=1:progressive:outdir=/archive/www -vop pp=ci -frames 1

	Looks like:

http://rubix.areb.org/00000001.jpg

	Guess i need to clean the glass on the front of the tank :)

	I get two frames every time i run that command, I'm not sure what's up with
that. Seems like the first one is the one i wanted.

	I understand that technically the bt878 is combining two full fields into one
frame, but I don't understand at which point that happens, what the details are,
etc. I guess I'm just happy i have a deinterlaced jpeg that i can mutilate into
being a webcam. Now I just have to find a script or program that will take the
frame, date stamp it, and upload it with scp or something.

 - Eric