[MPlayer-users] mplayer 0.90-rc3 a poor mp3 player

Eric Jorgensen alhaz at xmission.com
Sat Feb 1 21:37:35 CET 2003

	I felt i had to bring this up because i don't see any mention of it in the
mailing lists over the last couple months. If we're pushing a 1.0 release, this
has to be addressed.

	mplayer isn't a very good mp3 player yet. It's on par with some stuff i used
briefly on os2 in 1997. And even has the same annoying bug.

	I have several mp3s here which have, for example, some sort of header that
mplayer apparently plays as audio, resulting in a short burst of noise before
the music starts. Some of them have the id3 tag in a trailer instead of a
header, so it's not clear what mplayer is playing loudly through the left
channel right before the music. It's as much as half my mp3 collection that
exhibits this issue with mplayer. It even varies within a single album encoded
at the same time using grip and lame.

	All of these mp3s play perfectly with mpg123, mpg321, xmms, freeamp, and my
iRiver Slim-X cd-mp3 player. Not to mention windows media player, etc.

	It wouldn't bother me so much, except that I've been using Freevo a lot lately,
and I use it through fbcon, where freevo's only available mp3 player is mplayer.
10 gigs of music, and it's not handling it very well.

	I can't imagine you haven't heard this noise before, but i put an example on a
server anyway:

	http://rubix.areb.org/madworld.mp3