[MPlayer-users] How to pause mencoder

Clemens Wächter clemenswaechter at web.de
Tue Dec 23 23:42:26 CET 2003

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 23:09:00 +0100
Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:

> DOCS/bugreports.html] On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 22:49:21 +0100
> Clemens Wächter <clemenswaechter at web.de> wrote:
>
> > But you can lock the terminal by hitting CTRL+s
> > and unlock it by hitting CTRL+q
> > But note that this is not mencoder specific, this works with
> > any software. (I'm not so sure about this, maybe it does not
> > work with software which does nonblocking IO I didn't test that.
> > But it surely works with mencoder)
>
> That's shell/terminal specific C-s is just a scrollock, nothing
> more. If there is no output going on, then it wont block the
> program, same for non-blocking ouptut.

Oh I suspected that (with the non-blocking IO), after all its logical.
I wanted to write that it works due to console IO but I wasn't very
"talkative".
Of course, the call which writes to stdout/stderr doesn't return (if the
output blocks) which keeps the program from running (I'm sure
you know that already). Of course, it works that well because
mencoder is constantly writing to the terminal (every frame).

> C-z (or SIGSTOP) is a more general aproach and suspends
> the execution of a process. See the manpage of your shell
> for more information about job managment.

Correct, but I prefer the C-s method because it has less side-effects
on the execution of scripts, which should also be in the fine manual of
the shell.