[MPlayer-users] Missing video stream when playing Matlab movies

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Tue Dec 9 16:49:01 CET 2003

I've seen this issue in the archives, but no resolution.  MPlayer cannot
play movies generated by Matlab.  Well, actually, it can, if you feed
mplayer the movie on stdin (but then looping doesn't work, of course).
But 'mplayer movie.avi' doesn't work.  Interestingly, when I 'dd'ed the
first 5MB of a movie to upload as a test file (as requested in the
bugreporting docs), mplayer *could* play that.  Odd.  Very odd.

Anyway, details:
Red Hat 9
Linux $HOST 2.4.20-20.9smp #1 SMP Mon Aug 18 11:32:15 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
P4 2.8GHz
NVidia drivers, 1.0-4496
MPlayer 1.0pre3-3.2.2 (C) 2000-2003 MPlayer Team

Of course, this has happened on multiple systems (hardware and Red Hat
releases) and every version of mplayer up to and including 1.0pre3.

I've put a test movie and a mplayer log up here:

http://www.duke.edu/~jlb17/matlab-example.avi.bz2
http://www.duke.edu/~jlb17/matlab-example.log

Of course, I would not be surprised at all to hear that Matlab is
generating odd movies, but it'd be *really* nice if this worked.  Thanks!

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering