[MPlayer-users] How to integrate XviD in Compilation process?

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Wed Dec 3 19:05:50 CET 2003

Stephen D. Leedle wrote:
> Conceirning libavcodec: I only got the idea - this might be wrong, please
> correct me! - that libavcodec wouldn't include the newest xvid release.
>
> Is this true or am I following a mental dead end? I'm almost sure, I am!

Well, yes, you are. :) Libavcodec and xvid are two _entirely_ separate
projects - one does not contain the other.

Libavcodec:
Supports encoding with several codecs, including mpeg-4 ("DIVX").
Decodes an immense variety of audio and video formats. Written by the
ffmpeg developers, with lots of collaboration with mplayer development
(as such, is always very well supported in mplayer cvs).

XviD:
Decodes and encodes mpeg-4 ("XVID"). Written by the XviD team. Support
from within mplayer added when someone is interested enough to write it.

> My interest in the newest xvid codec is this new, special feature, which
> is described like this (from www.xvid.org):
> --- quote start ---
> Special mode for cartoons/anime like futuruma/the simpsons or any anime
> with flat color areas
> --- qote end ---

Remi Guyomarch did some tests of libavcodec parameters upon a variety of
sources. I have his results mirrored here:
http://fatooh.org/remitests/

Unfortunately, the tests are somewhat dated, as several new parameters
have been introduced (e.g. mbd=2 succeeds vhq).

-Corey