[MPlayer-users] Re: Commercial detection (was: Re: Can mencoder write partialfiles w hile encoding?)

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Sun Aug 31 10:07:32 CEST 2003

Rainer Hantsch wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, Jonathan Rogers wrote:
> | Rainer Hantsch wrote:

> | > |

> | > No, sorry. This is too much change in my system. When I cannot get an approved
> | > rpm for my SuSE 8.0, I will not do that. I am not such crazy to risk a shooten
> | > system for one software-package...
> |
> | SuSE doesn't have "approved" -dev packages? I thought it was supposed to
> | be a pretty decent distro.
> |
> | Jonathan Rogers
>
> No, you misunderstood. I tried to find the gtk2+ package at SuSE for my SuSE
> 8.0, but there is no one (or very well hidden). Also, gtk2+ depends on _many_
> additional packages which will also have to be installed.
> It is really not amusing. Why don't they put one big "SuperPackage" on the
> server which includes _everything_ what will be required, including all those
> other packages? (At least SuSE should know what is required, but they appear
> very tired in updating old versions.)

Yes, I did misunderstand and I apologize. I guess SuSE 8.0 is pretty
old? Are you asking why there isn't an Avidemux "SuperPackage?" Such a
thing would be useful, but I don't think it's fair to expect it, since
it would take a large amount of effort and time to constantly maintain it.

Avidemux, like most complex tools, relies on several libraries for a
large part of its functionality, which allows the developers to focus on
things that haven't already been implemented. Typically, such tools do
not include their requisite libraries. If the maintainers had to devote
a lot of time to building all the libraries in addition to Avidemux
itself, they'd have less time for real development.

You can always put together a "SuperPackage" yourself. Even better, you
could put together RPMs for Gtk+ 2.0 on SuSE 8.0. Either way, you could
share the result with anyone else who is in your frustrating position.
You certainly don't have to do either of those things. Upgrading to a
newer version of SuSE might be easier. You might even be able to install
RPMs from a newer version or a different distribution without changing
most of your system.

Jonathan Rogers