[MPlayer-users] Re: Quicktime: "No 'moov' atom could be found "

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Fri Aug 29 19:24:33 CEST 2003

Ken Martinek wrote:
>  Wow, I thought it might have supported other containers. My understanding
> is that for a file to really be a true "mpeg-4" file, it has to have its
> container too. Its also been my understanding that AVI cant contain
> "Objects" like MP4 or Quicktime wrappers, so is a generally bad container,
> true? AVI also seems to have poor support on streaming servers.

AVI is definitely a poor choice for streaming, which is one of the
reasons Microsoft doesn't seem to be pushing it any more.

> Is an mp4 container far off in the future?

Not at all; it exists now. For more information and tools, this is
probably a good place to start.

<URL:http://mpeg4ip.sourceforge.net/>

Do you mean is it far off for mencoder? It seems very unlikely that the
current mencoder will ever create any new types of containers. Mencoder
G2 doesn't exist yet, though it will undoubtedly be much more capable
eventually, since it'll be based on the much more flexible framework.
When will it arrive? Good question. Watch the G2 list and write it
yourself. ;) There are tools for working with MPEG-4 containers, like
MPEG4IP, though I haven't tried them.

> Hm, this may also be the reason that Real player doesnt like the output file
> either; it says something about "invalid or corrupt file"...

Realplayer probably doesn't know about AVI either. If it does, it
probably expects it to end with ".avi".

Jonathan Rogers