[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer audio from TV line???

Bill Eldridge bill at rfa.org
Fri Aug 29 10:34:39 CEST 2003

rcooley wrote:

>> It's hard to see at that point what the adevice=/dev/dsp option I'm
>> using
>> does, since it sounds the same as when I use adevice=/dev/dsp1,
>> for the TV card where no output works. So what exactly does "adevice"
>> do?
>
> MPlayer doesn't normally directly handle sound.  'adevice=' should
> work with 'mencoder'.

Well, if a command does nothing, it shouldn't be there, or should be
noted as doing nothing.

>> The man page on mplayer says immediatemode is default 1, video
>> capture only
>> with loopback cable for sound, but then when I try to set
>> immediatemode to 0,
>> the option doesn't exist for mplayer.
>

> What do you mean the option doesn't exist?  Sounds like you are
> specifying it wrong, somehow.

Well, "sounds like" is awfully presumptious. Did you try it?  It's in
the same section for -tv as
adevice, driver, device, input, freq, etc., and I can use all of those
no problem.
I set adevice=/dev/dsp::immediatemode=1:input=0:driver=v4l2:.... (the
man page says boolean for
immediatemode). I just now checked and it doesn't work for mencoder
either (I didn't need
it before for mencoder, since the default there is what I need).

So, if you can try it and get the immediatemode parameter to work,
please send the
command line to me and I'll try it.

Note I'm using the CVS from August 24.