[MPlayer-users] Can mencoder write partial files while encoding?

Rainer Hantsch rainer at hantsch.co.at
Thu Aug 28 21:11:42 CEST 2003

On 28 Aug 2003, Erik Slagter wrote:

| Transcode is more simple and modular by design then mencoder so for the
| moment I target for that. Nice extra advantage is that you can encode to
| any export format/codec transcode knows of. With mencoder you're stuck
| with 2 formats and 1 video and 1 audio codec. I have tried yesterday to
| record to an mpeg file using mpeg1 video codec and pcm/m3lame audio
| codecs and it plain doesn't work. No audio. And I really hate avi. It's
| also no use if you want to put it on dvd.

I have no problems with that.

What causes me headaches is that mencoder is the only(!) program which is able
to work with 4.8GB AVI file it created before, while avisplit (from transcode)
seems to have a problem.

GREAT. There exists a encoding program which cannot write multiple small
files, and there is no useful program which can cut the huge piece of AVI into
small ones.

Sometimes I really question about how far mencoder developers think
forward in belong of practical usability. What does it help to code a great
encoder when it lacks the minimal requirements? Every stupid Win Program does
automated splitting into multiple files!

mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch