[MPlayer-users] Can mencoder write partial files while encoding?

Erik Slagter erik at oldconomy.com
Thu Aug 28 20:10:11 CEST 2003

> All what has to be done is:
> a.)  parsing the output filename and locating some placeholder for increasing
>      numbering of partial files, ( -o outfile-###.avi ) which will be substi-
>      tuted by 000 001 002 003 ... during runtime.
> b.)  watch the filesize and start a new one with next number, whenever it is
>      exceeding the limit given by an option.

Transcode is more simple and modular by design then mencoder so for the
moment I target for that. Nice extra advantage is that you can encode to
any export format/codec transcode knows of. With mencoder you're stuck
with 2 formats and 1 video and 1 audio codec. I have tried yesterday to
record to an mpeg file using mpeg1 video codec and pcm/m3lame audio
codecs and it plain doesn't work. No audio. And I really hate avi. It's
also no use if you want to put it on dvd.