[MPlayer-users] Re: How to encode more audio tracks to external file(s) [mp3] or intoavi together?

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Thu Aug 28 11:05:28 CEST 2003

Daniel Mladek wrote:
> I'm stick. Only one thing I've found about is:
> mplayer -dvd 1 -aid 128 -dumpaudio
>
> and then I don't know.... I'm sure there's something very easy and
> straightforward to do it well.

You're on the right track. There are some details in encoding-tips.txt.
I recommend using Ogg as the container and Vorbis as the audio codec
because Ogg (or Ogm) can easily accommodate multiple tracks of several
types and Vorbis has quality superior to MP3. However, you can use LAME
in place of oggenc if you prefer. I'm not sure of how to multiplex
multiple audio tracks into an AVI; you may have to keep the extras as
separate MP3 files, which mplayer can play with -audiofile.

<URL:http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/tech/encoding-tips.txt>
<URL:http://www.bunkus.org/dvdripping4linux/index.html>

Jonathan Rogers