[MPlayer-users] Which codec is fast and good?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Aug 27 23:07:50 CEST 2003

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 11:45:55AM +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 27. August 2003 08:56 schrieb Rainer Hantsch:
>
> > About "denoise3d":
> > I do not "want" it as a "must". I got it suggested, so I use it. It
> > will surely cause additional system load, but as long as the CPU is
> > below 100%... Anyway, CPU far below 100% would be better, but I could
> > not find a description of denoise3d and its options...
>
> -vf pp=tn
> should do similar things. But it's much faster.

pp=tn should not be used. Ever. It's broken by design. It selectively
turns the noise filter on or off on a per-block basis (8x8 blocks) so
it will ADD blocking artifacts to your movie. :(

> And does one of those two deinterlacing filters have an advantage over the
> other?
> -vf lavcdeint
> or
> -vf pp=fd

They are identical. lavcdeint was supposed to be removed but no one
ever bothered. Actually lavcdeint calls libavcodec's deinterlace
function, while pp=fd implements the same thing in the libpostproc
framework.

> "Mplayer -vf help" says that the first one uses "libavcodec's
> deinterlacing filter" and "mplayer -pphelp" says that the second uses
> "ffmpeg deinterlacer". What's the difference?

pp=fd is probably faster; otherwise, nothing. Both will create an
'embossed' looking ghost outline when the two fields differ by any
significant amount, though, so imo this deinterlacer should be
avoided.

Rich