[MPlayer-users] Re: chopping off credits

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Aug 27 06:12:48 CEST 2003

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 12:20:34AM -0500, Jonathan Rogers wrote:
> D Richard Felker III wrote:
> >>later. When trying to fit a movie on one 700-800MiB CD-R, I've cut the
> >>
> >>of a mebibyte and much sharper than the MPEG-4 video would have been.
> >

> >Are you just using these ridiculous-sounding units to annoy people, or
> >to try to "convert" people, or what? I've noticed them appearing at
> >least 3 or 4 times in your past couple posts...
>
> Yes, I'm a mind-slave of the IEC and we're trying to take over the
> world! You just keep on attacking anything that you don't understand.
> We'll see who ends up sounding ridiculous.
>
> <URL:http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html>
> <URL:http://www.iec.ch/online_news/etech/arch_2003/etech_0503/focus.htm>
> <URL:http://www.gnu.org/manual/coreutils-4.5.4/html_chapter/coreutils_2.html#SEC4>
> <URL:http://www.gnu.org/manual/coreutils-4.5.4/html_chapter/coreutils_2.html#IDX51>

I'm quite familiar with all that and it's stupid. They have no
legitimate authority to redefine terms, especially ones used in
someone else's field. Regardless of whether one accepts their horrible
"standard", your repeated use of "MiB" "GiB" ... makes it look like
you are trying to influence people rather than write something
relevant to mplayer.

Rich