[MPlayer-users] Re: [BUG] Lock up when resuming after long pause on removable media

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Tue Aug 26 09:47:15 CEST 2003

Adam Nielsen wrote:
> Well given that it only used to take ~2 seconds to resume (in Windows and I
> think Xine - long time since I've used either ;-)), I gave up after a few
> minutes - even if it did continue in the end, that's *way* too long to wait
> after you've unpaused a movie!

Yes, it is way too long; I would have killed it too.

>>Perhaps a more robust design  would have a timer in a separate thread or
>>process or use non-blocking IO calls to avoid those long waits, but I don't
>>think it's currently a bug.
>

> Well it seems as though that's the problem - the IO calls are taking too
> long - but why would that be happening?  And why only from within mplayer?

That is curious if mplayer seems to prompt different behavior than other
applications. I haven't had an experience exactly like you described.
I've experienced very long waits when the disc is difficult to read and
the kernel keeps trying and retrying. It sounds like your circumstances
are somewhat different.

Jonathan Rogers