[MPlayer-users] Re: chopping off credits

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Tue Aug 26 05:35:02 CEST 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:
> DO NOT CAT FROM VOBS TO ENCODE FROM HD! Either dump the dvd with
> mplayer -dumpstream (so you get the whole dvd as one .vob file) or use
> mencoder dvd://1 -dvd-device /path/to/your/vobs. But keep in mind, -ss
> will not be accurate on mpeg files anyway, so you'll have to
> experiment until you find the right time to seek to...

I think that both "cat" and "mencoder dvd://1 -dvd-device /path/to/vobs"
are usually unnecessary. I usually just use "mplayer dvd://${title}
-dumpstream -dumpfile movie.vob", followed by "mencoder movie.vob ...".
I guess some people might still be stuck with a 2GiB file size limit?

Also, "-ss" is inaccurate, but "-endpos" is very accurate and works
quite well for chopping end credits off.

Jonathan Rogers