[MPlayer-users] chopping off credits

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Aug 25 17:21:15 CEST 2003

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 06:18:27PM +0100, antonovich wrote:

> > DO NOT CAT FROM VOBS TO ENCODE FROM HD! Either dump the dvd with
> > mplayer -dumpstream (so you get the whole dvd as one .vob file) or use
> > mencoder dvd://1 -dvd-device /path/to/your/vobs. But keep in mind, -ss
> > will not be accurate on mpeg files anyway, so you'll have to
> > experiment until you find the right time to seek to...
>
> Why not? it works... is there some obscure technical reason for not doing it?

Because you can't seek when reading from stdin (as you discovered),
and mencoder might lose the first frame of video or audio trying to
determine which demuxer to use.

> I have just tried GOPchop and have got it chopping bits of left, right and
> centre... that seems to work ok too

Yes, that will work, but dumping/playing the dvd correctly is better...

> > BTW, chopping off credits is a bit lame... You can get excellent
> > quality on a single CD without chopping the credits if you RTFM
> > encoding-tips.txt rather than just blindly running mencoder with no
> > options.
>
> lame? I thought that was what we usually use to encode the audio ;-). I just
> can't see the point in putting up to 50meg aside for something i NEVER use or

50 meg?!? Use vcr_override to encode them at low quality if it's
taking that much, but I would expect something more like 10-20 meg.

> watch. I know I can get good quality using the options, and that is what I'm
> trying to learn about. The point is that if i use the same options without
> the credits then I will get better quality rips than you.

Except yours will be incomplete, which means they're horrible quality!
:)

Rich