[MPlayer-users] Funny sound RFI when encoding from PCTV

Luis.F.Correia Luis.F.Correia at seg-social.pt
Wed Aug 20 23:34:27 CEST 2003

> DOCS/bugreports.html]
>
> Hello,
>
> my concern doesn't fall into the category I've seen this
> month (over-revving
> the line-in) but I hear a funny CPU revving sound when
> encoding live TV from
> the Pinnacle PCTV Pro.
>
> Would it be possible that mencoder collects an amount of data
> and then
> compresses it at fast as possible. Before I've tried to find
> the real cause
> of the interference a 'nice -10' approach sometimes helps.
> The idea was to
> make mencoder run as smoothly as possible without smothering
> it completely.
>
> I care about the well-being of Mplayer. Any other mencoder
> sessions are free
> of any visible/audible interference whatsoever. It's a shame
> I can't grab
> the same TV program twice to repeat the process, but I'm
> certain what a CPU
> sounds like (as in the 'Contact' movie where they try to
> decode the signal).
> I'm trained as an electrician but don't have a clue how to
> tidy out the the
> RFI physically.

The insides of a PC are very noisy. That's the main reasin cases
are made out of metal.

Even if you could make a shield that would surround the entire
card, the poor card design will always get some noise from
the inexisting insulation of ground plains from the digital
and the analog areas.

Also, the ADC they use for grabbing the sound must be a cheap
version with a very lo S/N ratio...

Good luck though.