NODAEMON Re: [MPlayer-users] Re: Which TV card ?

Steven Ellis mail_lists at stevencherie.net
Wed Aug 20 02:57:32 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 12:05, rcooley wrote:

> Steven Ellis wrote:
> > You might want to take a look at ffv1rec that comes with avidemux
> > (http://avidemux.sf.net). Its based on nuvrec from the nuppel tools and
> > allows capture in an number off ffmpeg codecs, but uses a nuv wrapper
> > rather than avi. These files can then be edited down using avidemux and
> > saved as DVD/SVCD/MP4 etc
> >
> > Steve
> I checked out the website and don't find anything other than the
> downloads for avidemux...  I have both 0.9 and 2.10 installed, and don't
> seem to have any such program installed, and even greped through the
> source tarball of both packages, and didn't find anything even close.
> So where exactly do I find it?
>
> Also, I should probably mention that I've tried using ffmpegrec from the
> NVRec package (an annoyance to compile I must say) but wasn't very happy
> with it.  It does indeed work far faster than mencoder, but it requires
> more than double the bitrate compared to mencoder, just to give the same
> quality.  Also, ffmpegrec still only allows a res up to 640x480 without
> having problems (that's the main reason I don't use MythTV).
>
> I'd like to try the program (or any others I haven't tried yet), and see
> if I have any better results.

Until I found ffv1rec I was also using ffmpegrec from the nvrec tools,
but I tweaked the code. I added the options -vqmin -vqmax to tweak the
quantitize, and fixed up the internal buffer size to handle video over
640x480.

If you grab avidemux 2.0.14 you will find a addons directory which
includes ffv1rec.

Note that the output won't play in MPLayer at the moment, as Mplayer
assumes all nuv files are nuppelvideo.

Steve

--
Steven Ellis <mail_lists at stevencherie.net>