[MPlayer-users] Re: Question on "trans-coding" with mencoder...

Rainer Hantsch rainer at hantsch.co.at
Mon Aug 18 16:21:59 CEST 2003

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Jonathan Rogers wrote:

| [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]

^-- PLEASE - could the list maintainer remove this offending automated text?
    It is more than enough to put this piece of "wisdom" into the signature!

| Rainer Hantsch wrote:
| > My question is:
| > ---------------
| > · What am I doing wrong?
| > · What must I do (step by step) to get a 100% working DivX4 file?
| > · Can mencoder create mpeg files, too? (I have an original SuSE 8.0, which
| >   has a downstripped jpeglib, which cannot ENcode mpeg, only DEcode. When
| >   mencoder can do encoding without this library, shouldn't it work? - How?
| > · Is there any video cutting tool planned, which allows to work with GUI
| >   and several file formats (DivX4, MPEG1/2,...)
|
| I've had to run AVIs through mencoder twice when concatenating to get
| everything straightened out. That is, cat the AVIs into mencoder with
| -noidx, then run the result through mencoder again with -forceidx.
| Mencoder can enode MPEG-1 video using libavcodec (I don't know about
| MPEG-2), but it can only make AVIs.

I concatenated both parts of a film with doing a

cat 1.avi 2.avi | mencoder ...........

as shown in the manual. The result is one big avi, which causes 10 times more
activity on my dvd-rom as when I play 1.avi or 2.avi. I do not know what
mencoder does, but it increases the system load extremely. And this shall
become better with a second run? Why is this not mentioned in the manual?

| Mencoder definitely does allow one to encode or copy an arbitrary
| segment out of a source video. Check out the manual for the "-ss" and
| "-endpos" options. The latter is unfortunately misnamed, since it
| actually determines the total time of the output video, not the
| timestamp to stop at.

I never saw something about these option(s) in the German manual. As I said:
The manual is definitely weak. Good meant, but incomplete and weak.

| There are several video editing tools, though I don't have much
| experience with them. I have used GOPChop for cutting MPEG-2 Program
| Streams.
| <URL:http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/>
| <URL:http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3>
| <URL:http://outflux.net/unix/software/GOPchop/>
| <URL:http://kino.schirmacher.de/article/static/2>

You are right, avidemux looks VERY interesting and should do what I wish. In
theory -- practically, I tried to get avidemux working and found out that it
does not compile on SuSE 8.0 because it needs so many different versions of
libraries and (additional) tool(kits), that you have to change nearely the
whole system! (Not that what I want to do on my stable running workstation.)
Therefore I prefer binary rpm's for SuSE 8.0 (because I use SuSE 8.0), but
they are relatively seldom.

mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch

--
|      \\|//              Ing. Rainer HANTSCH  -  Hardware + Software |